One question I get asked a lot is, "Is she a good baby?"
This sort of question has always perplexed me. If she's not a "good baby," does that make her a "bad baby"? Is there any such thing as a "bad baby"? Is the word "good" really the best way to describe a baby?
Just wondering ...?
So what kind of a baby is Scarlett? Well, she's an adorable baby, of course! :)
But what about her temperment ... her personality?
I haven't quite figured out her temperment yet - she sleeps most of the time.
She is definitely a snuggler. She likes to lay on our chests and it seems that for Scarlett, the more skin she can lay on, the better. I'll hold her so that she's on the front of my shoulder and very quickly, she makes her way to the middle of my chest. I have read that babies are fond of that position because the noises they hear right there - heartbeat, breathing, talking, etc. - are the same noises they heard from within the womb.
In fact, for much of the night, Scarlett is sleeping on Jonathan's chest. I have suggested to him that letting her do that ever night sets her up to reject her basinett. But he likes her there, and who am I to deny a father some snuggle time with his princess?
Scarlett is waking up about every three hours or so overnight to eat. In an effort to give each of us a bit more sleep, Jonathan feeds her pumped milk for the first feeding, and then I nurse her the other times she's wakes up after that. It was a routine that Christian's pediatrician suggested four years ago and it worked out nicely then ... and is working out nicely this time, too.
I would have to say that overall - even though she's still sleeping a lot - she's a pretty mellow baby. She certainly has no sensitivity to sounds, which is a huge blessing. Christian tends to be very loud (I never realized just HOW loud until I had a quiet baby in my arms), and he's got some loud toys (a sarcastic thank you to the manufacturer of his Buzz Lightyear toy who neglected to includ an on/off switch and volume control). Depsite all the noises going on around her, Miss Scarlett stays sounds asleep. Had she not passed her hearing screening with flying colors, I'd be concerned. But, there's nothing wrong with her hearing ... she just has the awesome ability to filter the noise out.
We spend a lot of time comparing Scarlett to Christian when he was a baby. "Did Christian do this ...." "Did Chrsitian do that ...?" "When Christian was a baby, didn't we ________."
Christian was an awesome, mellow, and happy baby. I remember a friend of ours in Santa Fe who was a former pediatrician told us to stop having kids, because we'd never luck out and get a mellow, happy baby the second time around. But I think it is quite possible that we've been blessed with just that.
Only time will tell. She is, after all, just three weeks old (tomorrow!).
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment