On Sunday, she fell off a barstool at swimming lessons and landed right on her head. She had been sitting at the counter, and stood up on the chair, and CRASH onto the right side of her head and face. It was awful!
Flash forward to yesterday. She and I were at Sam's Club and she was in the basket part of the shopping cart (because she refuses to sit in the front seat, and she can't walk around when it is just she and I together - she is too much of a wanderer). I stopped to look at a display of books and Scarlett stood up, reached over to get a book and fell right out of the card and onto hear head.
(Amusing side story: As I was comforting Scarlett, and elderly man walked up to us, held his arms towards Scarlett and said, "Oh honey, what do you want? I'll buy it for you!" HA! I told him she'd actually just fallen. and he went on to ask me if I was her mother or her grandmother. WHAT????)
On our way to get Christian from school, I called her pediatrician's office to see what I should do. I was concerned about a concussion, and the person on the phone suggested I head to the ER. Well, I HAD to get Christian from school, there was nobody else who could. So I rushed to get him, all the while trying to keep Scarlett awake, still concerned about the concussion.
We made our way to a new and nearby Phoenix Children's Hospital Urgent Care, only to discover they were only Urgent Care from 5:00pm - 11:00pm. Ugh! A nurse came out to talk to me about Scarlett, who by then was playing with Christian and acting just fine.
Jonathan arrived and we took the kiddos to lunch. Scarlett was never lethargic, never threw up, etc. She ate her lunch just fine.
But I got her into to see her doctor at 6:00pm anyway. He asked where in the cart she was located and said, "In the part where you're not supposed to put them because they might fall out?" My reply, "Yes, that's the one." And then he told me he puts his kiddos in the cart that way, too ... so I felt better.
Scarlett was a star during her exam! Her doctor tried to feel her skull through the large knot in her head, but could not. So he ordered an xray for today.
I must say, the most uncomfortable part of the exam was when he said, "I am just going to look to see if there are any more bruises." Ugh ... I knew what he was doing ... looking for signs of abuse. And I know he's obligated to do that, but it just made me so sad. We don't even spank our children.
The technicians commented several times on how impressive her behavior was. They said they'd never had a young child be so calm, and suggested she come back and show other kids how to act.
One technician gave Scarlett one sticker for being so good, and another came running out, insisting she get three more stickers because of her great behavior.
Whose child was THAT? Certainly not mine! ;)
We are waiting on the results of the xray, but I feel in my heart that she is just fine!!




0 comments:
Post a Comment