I hated to see on paper the reason for the visit was "Failure to Thrive." I knew that was her diagnosis, but seeing it on paper just makes it ... well ... crazy.
We were shocked to learn that she has gained almost no weight since her 18 month well-child exam in July. Back then, she weighed 18 pounds, 11.9 oz. Today, she weighed 18 pounds, 14.1 oz.
The NP asked about Scarlett's eating habits - what she eats/drinks, quantity and setting (i.e., at the table, with all of us).
We shared Scarlett's love for veggies and more savory foods, and her lack of interest in sweet foods. I told her that Scarlett eats best at dinner, and she pointed out that is a time when she's in her high chair, surrounded by all of us eating. She suggested that Scarlett eat every meal in her high chair.
Scarlett is still breastfeeding A LOT, and prefers it to eating real food. Sometimes, it feels like she is chasing me all day, demanding milk. She nurses more frequently than a newborn, despite our efforts to offer her food at the first sign she's hungry. But if she's denied her milk, she gets mad ... really mad. So it has been a struggle.
Naturally, the NP's suggestion was that I need to start weaning Scarlett. I knew it was coming, so I wasn't shocked at the directive. She suggested I pick a timeframe during the day when it would be easiest for me to deal with the inevitable fit Scarlett will have when denied her milk. She said if Jonathan is home, then I can simply leave for a while when she's mad about the milk, and then he can make sure she gets real food to satisfy her hunger.
We have actually done something similar for dinner at times. For a while, Scarlett wasn't wanting to stay in her seat when we sat down for dinner. So, I'd take my dinner in another room, and let Jonathan eat with the kiddos without me ... and Scarlett would actually eat just fine. Problem is, Jonathan has a lot of travel coming up ... so I won't have his assistance with the process.
Here are the official remarks from today:
- Wean from breastfeeding
- Substitute whole milk, Similac Go-N-Grow, Pediasure or another toddler formula for breast milk.
- Encourage high calorie foods, i.e., avocado, oils, creams, cream cheese, peanut butter, Nutella, butter, mayo, ranch dip, etc.
- Offer 3 meals per day with snacks
- provide structured meal times
- avoid food battles
- always sit with Scarlett at meals to model good eating behavior
They sent us home with plenty of Pediasure for Scarlett to try - in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and banana flavors. I know Scarlett won't like it, though. She just isn't into sweets.
But we will try every single suggestion that has been given to us. We want Scarlett to be healthy and grow big and strong! Stay tuned!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment