Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Scarlett Has Croup

As Scarlett continues to prove, she's VERY different from Christian.   Christian never had croup ... but our Little Miss does. 

She woke up to eat after midnight Sunday/Monday and her breathing was very labored, and she had a funky cough.  Didn't seem to bother her, she kept eating.  But I made her stop because I didn't know what was going on.

I took her out to the living room and she sounded bad.  I called a place fairly nearby called "Goodnight Pediatrics" to see if they could help me determine if she needed to be seen by a doctor right away, or if it could wait til morning.   They told me they were unable to help me, and I needed to call Scarlett's pediatrician and see what he said first.   Wow, that really irritated me.  Why be an overnight medical facility if you make your potential patients call their pediatrician in the middle of the night.

But as we observed Scarlett, she seemed perfectly fine, despite how she sounded.  She was walking around, babbling, playing with her toys.  We were so confused.

By the time I got her to the doc this morning, she was just fine.  I was so confused.  I described the situation to the doc, who said it sounded like textbook croup.  He said it clears up in the morning and returns at night, and that steroids - either oral or injected - is what helps.  We opted for the shot.

And you know what?  No croup last night!  I had read that croup can last for several nights.  So I guess that steriod shot was a fantastic miracle.

WHEW!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio